History Of Kennett Square Preschool Cooperative
a cooperative, non-profit preschool
The History Of Kennett Square Preschool Cooperative
Kennett Square Preschool Cooperative was founded in 1957 by a group of parents who wanted an affordable, quality preschool education for their children. They established it as a cooperative which meant the members were responsible for all phases of operation. They rented a basement room in the old community center which stood where Mary D. Lang Kindergarten Center stands today. The Kennett Square Recreation Board charged the preschool $20 per month. The mothers cleaned the building and made slipcovers and curtains. The fathers painted and repaired the building. However, with all their work, the facility was not really a satisfactory setting for kindergarten and nursery age children. The President of the school in 1965, Mrs. John Curran, wrote to the Rev. Elbert St. Claire asking permission to rent the three Sunday school rooms in the old wing at the Church of the Advent. In April of 1966, the Vestry at Advent agreed to rent their Sunday school rooms to KSPC and classes began in September 1966. The parents, teachers and students were quite happy with their new location which provided 3 bright rooms and a great play area.
In 1973, the population in the area exploded and KSPC responded to the needs of the community. The staff grew to 4 teachers, 1 teacher assistant and 40 children. By 1990 the church completed the new educational wing and KSPC was permitted to rent the first floor of the new wing. The enrollment had grown to 114 students and this addition allowed the preschool to add two more rooms.
Today we have grown to a staff of 13 teachers, 2 teacher assistants, and 120 students. Throughout our school's growth we have remained true to the original mission of the founding parents which was to provide quality preschool education. We still work with small classes, providing a loving, stimulating environment for each child!